Driving School FAQ's

How do I sign up for Drivers Ed?

  • Typically, Classroom starts the first Monday of the month. You can register by calling (920)-469-9240, or you can register on this website for the classroom session you would like. View the next upcoming sessions.

  • Students may attend any school location that is operated by Jon's Driving Academy, no matter where they live.

  • See the Classroom Sessions page for a complete list of upcoming classes


How old do I need to be to sign up for the classroom phase of Driver's Ed.

Students need to be at least 14 1/2 years old to sign up for the class.  15 1/2 to get their instruction permit (temps) and 16 years old to get their driver's license.


How long do I have to drive with my instruction permit before I can take the road test at the DMV?

For those under the age of 18, they must practice driving under the instruction permit for 6 months.  For example, if they get their temps at age 16, they must be 16 1/2 before they become eligable to take the road test to get their license.


When can I start the behind the wheel lessons?

You must be 15 1/2 years old, and have taken the classroom phase, and have your instruction permit.  You can schedule behind the wheel lessons once you have obtained your instruction permit.  Please note that you must take your first BTW lesson within 60 days of receiving your temps.


When I look at the behind the wheel calendar, I see Red, Yellow, and Green dates. What does this mean?

Red means the class session is unavailable.

Yellow means the session is full.

Green means seats are available.


How do I cancel a behind the wheel lesson after I scheduled it?

You can log in to your online account and click the red "X" next to the appointment time, or you can call the office.  Remember that you must cancel at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled lesson to aviod being charged a "No Show" fee.  If you cancel early enough, we may be able to fill the vacancy created by your cancellation.


How many behind the wheel lessons should I schedule?

You should schedule no more than two lessons per month.  This will allow you sufficient time to practice between lessons.  The scheduling software will only allow for one lesson every 10 days.  Please keep this in mind when planning your driving schedule.


What do I need to take with me to the DMV to get my instruction permit (temps)?

You will take the temps test during the classroom phase of driver's ed.  You will need to take the MV3001 form you received from your instructor.  In addition, you will need to take a CERTIFIED copy of their birth certificate or a valid US passport.  In addition, you will also need to bring your Social Security card.

For more information on acceptable documents please visit www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/drivers/apply/doc/index.htm